Judge a book by its cover

SFWA liaison

Heidi Hildeman customer
Hildy released a book! something Patrick hasn't done in 4 years
1715913202840.jpeg

Description​

The Scotty is a device which transforms matter into energy and then energy back into matter, just like Scotty used to do on Star Trek, hence the name. But the harsh reality is that this is no mere transportation device. Taken to its logical conclusion, it is a technology which gives its user the powers of an absolute god! And as the old saying goes, power corrupts.

In this fix-up novel, a series of short stories, each part of an underlying story-arc, illustrate the awesome power of the Scotty, and the disasters that can ensue by using it. Each tale builds upon the over-arching theme regarding the future history following its invention, and how it was both used and abused.

Product Details:​

Paperback
6 x 9 inches
242 pages
ISBN: 979-8-8693-6736-5

Sue Lightning

Balconyster
just like Scotty used to do on Star Trek hence the name.
Necessary explanation.
But the harsh reality is that this is no mere transportation device. Taken to its logical conclusion, it is a technology which gives its user the powers of an absolute god!
This sentence makes no sense.
And as the old saying goes, power corrupts.
Yeah take that out, unnecessary and over explaining.
In this fix-up novel, a series of short stories, each part of an underlying story-arc, illustrate the awesome power of the Scotty, and the disasters that can ensue by using it.
Jesus christ those grammatical errors.
In this fix-up novel, a series of short stories form parts of an underlying story-arc to illustrate the awesome power of the Scotty and the disasters that can ensue by using it.
There. I learned this in like fucking 9th grade. People use punctuation because they’re afraid to write what looks to be a run on sentence, even though it reads way more competently. If you want to you could put a comma after arc, remove “to”, and say “illustrating the…”
Each tale builds upon the over-arching theme regarding the future history following its invention, and how it was both used and abused.
Fucking worthless bullshit, this means nothing

RickReternal

I hope people Ouija you tweets after your dead
So which is it, a novel or short stories? Funny how all these literary geniuses constantly seem to confuse basic concepts
A “fix up” is an old-fashioned genre fiction product. It’s a partial rewrite of stories set in the same universe or with common elements to create a throughline. It was usually stuff that was first published in magazines as short stories then bought by a book publisher…neither of which happened here so I don’t really know what’s going on. Points for novelty I guess?